Saturday, November 8, 2008

Peter Cushing lives in Whitstable, I have seen him on a bicycle, I have seen him buying vegetables...

Except not, because Peter Cushing died in 1994. But that's neither here nor there.

What's important is this (cribbed from my LJ, where I posted the news last night when it happened):

Haskell died.

He was moving around when Ruy fed him and Hopper hay, but when I went to give them lettuce, he was sprawled, half inside their little house. Usually he's all up in the treats, so, I was a little worried. I felt for a pulse, for the rising and falling of his chest. Nothing. He was still warm, so obviously, he'd just died within the last few minutes.

A year less 5 days ago, Gryffin (our English Mastiff) died. I'm just getting tired of November, really.

Hopper's not sure what to do with herself. Her and Haskell were a bonded pair. ...also, he was the dominant of the two, so she's either going to be depressed, or start a terrible new regime of tyranny over Blooper and Goomba. I'd be okay with the tyranny, if it meant she wouldn't be sad. She just looks so lost. I think I know how she feels.

...it's not like Haskell was an old bunny, either. He was only 3 and a half or 4. But then again, Mastiffs have a life expectancy of about 10-ish years, and Gryffin died a few months after turning 6.

I'm devastated.

I'm SO devastated, I'm listening to Cotton Eye Joe to cheer myself up. This is wrong on just about every level.


We took his body up to the vet today, and they'll cremate him. We'll get his ashes back, and they'll send out the pertinent pieces for a necropsy.

Goomba's looking peaked, so everyone is going in for vet appointments on Wednesday afternoon.

I'm dealing relatively well, considering. However, I'm sure something completely unrelated will, in the next week, cause me to sob hysterically. I...apologize in advance.

Also? Is it us? Six hamsters in 6 months, and now Haskell. And possibly Goomba.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, I am so sorry to hear about your bunny dieing. *BIG AMBER HUGS* I am here if you wanna talk about it or even anything. You know you probably need a good laugh or giggle about something. :)

Unknown said...

You know there is really nothing more sad when a being dies-I have been presented this many times in my life and I just can't seem to comprehend-the telegram comes and the life is gone where does life go? pets friends,family what does it all come and go to?
There is cheese on this keyboard and it looks messy!
however, Haskell and Gumba were really close friends and I'm really going to miss them!
Yur Ole Da