Thursday, May 15, 2008

And then there were two...

So, instead of making the happyfuntime post of love, fun, and frivolity, as a followup to my last incite-riot-and-alienate-people post, I have some sad news to report. Er, two sad pieces of news to report.

Dax died about two weeks ago. She was my exuberant, runs around like she's on speed dwarf hamster. She ran right out of energy, and we found her curled up in her tube, Tempe crying and trying to cuddle her stiff body back to life. We placed Dax in a box, ready for the burial ritual, but waited just a few days too long. At least we found out what the smell was! But where she was buried didn't matter, because her spirit was already running around up there with Sam.

Ruy and I went to T.G.I.F. (The Gluten Intolerance Festival) in Victoria this past weekend. While we were away, we left the hammies their food and water and playthings, and assumed all would be fine.

Tempe made a break for it, sometime between Thursday afternoon and Monday evening. Perhaps she was eager to find out where Dax had gone.

No amount of calling her name or leaving out treats would get her to come forth and show herself. Ruy was certain she had escaped into the wild, open world, through the partially open window. I doubted it.

We heard her final squeaks this afternoon. Who knows what she was really saying. I like to think it was "Look out, Dax and Sam! Here I come!" Whatever it was, it helped us to locate her, but moments too late. Uh, not my favourite memory.

So, farewell, Tempe, and farewell, Dax. May the wind be ever at your backs.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We are very sorry to hear about Tempe - now the 3 of them are romping around with Gryffin

Unknown said...

and may the wind always be at their backs and in the great garden in the sky where there is food and water everywhere and running wheels
Yur Ole Da

Niles the Camel said...

That was a very sad post - I am sorry to hear about Tempe.